Sunday, September 7, 2008

Shop til ya drop in Bangkok

Bighead and I have lost hours upon hours wandering through the massive malls of Bangkok. It could be very easy to spend a shit load of money here, as things do seem more affordable.

As we wander, my evil consumerist side begins to emerge, knocking at my brain and whispering in my ear. That could be handy. Such good value. What else could you get? Buy that. You've always wanted one of them. You definitely need that. Two for the price of one!

I've resisted so far. I know what I need and I'm sticking to it.

Be sure to shop with something specific in mind, it's far to easy to become distracted and loose your way. Take regular breaks, sit back basking in the air con, and order one of these! Don't judge it because it looks a little funny, it was the tastiest coconut shake Bighead has encountered.

After making our way slowly through four gigantic malls sitting side by side in Siam Square, we thought we'd seen them all.

One local style, market stall type place with a million escalators, one jawdroppingly lavish creation that was so posh it made me feel guilty just stepping inside, one so funky it bursts at the seams with trendy young Bangkokians (once again, leaving me feeling uneasy), and one so massive you need a segway to get around in (it even had 16 very well appointed movie theatres!)

Well, little did we know that we'd barely scratched the surface! In Siam Square area alone, there must be hundreds. Something for everyone! For those of you at home who love to shop (you know who you are), this is the place for you my friends!

0 comments: